BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

I've been on hiatus, but I'm back now and ready to review!

Let's start off with Bridget Jones's Diary. I picked it up at a thrift store, hoping that all the hype about it would lead to it being a good read. I should have remembered that there is a reason I don't really pay attention when the main stream media talks about books - I'm usually let down.

The books starts off well enough. It's a new year, and that means it's time for new year's resolutions. Bridget starts off with a list including wanting to lose weight, stop smoking, give up fantasizing about the cute guy at the office. Sounds like 50 other women I know. After the first few entries in this journal, I completely lost interest. Maybe it's because I've never been a typical woman, giggling over cute guys, worrying about being married, and obsessing over calories, so I just couldn't connect with the main character. I thought she was mediocre and shallow. I don't think there was a single character that didn't make me want to kick them down a black hole and pretend they never existed.

There were a few slightly amusing sections. For instance, her dressing up for a party as a slutty bunny and not getting the message that the party had been changed and no costume was required. BUT for me it wasn't funny in the sense of "Oh, the Bridget, she just has the worst of luck", but more in the sense of, "LOL Idiot needs to check her messages more often. Got what she deserved."

Will I be reading the sequel? No. Watch the movie? Definitely not.

1 star

0 comments: